Both articles contain notable points. I agree with Reigeluth & Joseph as far as TRANSFORMING our teaching with technology and not just integrating it. However, this takes time... which few of us have to spare. Just as it takes time for our students to reach mastery, we have to expect the same of ourselves. The only problem with technology is that it is ALWAYS advancing... so mastery is fleeting. :)
In the Reigeluth & Joseph article, I like the word "customization." We customize our cars, computers, homepages, etc.- of course we should customize education for each student. We have to reach a happy medium here though because working one-on-one is usually only a few minutes of our day, if any. In every class, I have some students who are not progressing at all, some that are progressing nicely, and some that I can't even keep up with! I strive to work to keep all my students active and involved. I don't strive to keep them all progressing together... or I'd be short-changing so many of them!
Standards based grading (alluded to in the Reigeluth & Joseph article) is a topic that has come up various times with elementary music classes. I don't want to allow music to be a blow-off class, but I also can't see the use in discouraging a student who can't recite a 4 beat rhythm... but has been improving his attention and interest in music.
Moving on to the Postman article... this one I enjoyed. Even though I feel I am a little bit of a 'techie,' and at the risk of sounding like a Luddite myself, I agree that technology will not solve our problems. We first have to win over our students with trust and encouragement before their brains will even open to new information.
School is a way of teaching group behavior. My husband was home schooled with his sister and brother for 10 years. From observing him for years, I can see that, because he wasn't taught group behavior, he often struggles to 'behave' in groups. (No- he isn't some social deviant... :) But he sometimes doesn't know how to handle conflicts diplomatically and struggles to 'fit in' in groups. As teachers (at home or school), we must remember that while we are teaching science or music or spanish, we are teaching how to learn and how to adapt to new situations.
All in all, both articles are right. Yes- technology is GREAT and useful, BUT it will never be able to replace the TEACHER. :)
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteIsn't this just a cut & paste of what I said? :)
ReplyDelete