The blog was extremely easy to set up and begin. I tried a Vox blog first, but had a problem. I wanted to configure a unique layout, but that was too much for me at the time and for this purpose. So I ended up using Blogger because I already had a Google account. I see that in a personal networking context, blogging is an easy way to tell a story once and update many people. Blogging also allows others to see posts and responses, opposed to ‘conversations’ through e-mail. I have found our individual blogs are a bit of a hindrance for responding because one has to switch between sites constantly… until I started using Google Reader!
I immediately thought ‘duh’ when I saw the Google Reader introduction video. I do tend to visit the same few sites daily to check for new info! What an awesome tool to have. The first thing I wanted to add was a blog that my sister, who is volunteering in the Philippines, has through TravelPod. I tried to add a subscription to HER blog, but it seemed to keep subscribing me to EVERYONE who had a TravelPod. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong (the link includes HER profile address… not just travelpod.com). Regardless of any minor problems, I plan to utilize both blogs and RSS feeds in the future.
----------------------
A blog is quite high on Dale’s Cone of Experience. Blogs do not involve doing or observing, they are simply verbal symbols that are abstract and require much imagination. At first, I was thinking that blogs will probably not be very effective as teaching tools. But, especially for older students, I think the imaginative aspect of blogs can be very useful for education.
RSS feeds are also part of the tip of the cone, but depending on what feeds are linked, it could be lower and into the iconic and pictorial experiences. Videos and recordings and pictures can all be accessed through an RSS feed.
----------------
The problem to which blogging is the answer is- "How can we access a public network on any topic that allows worldwide input?" Using a blog in an imaginative way would be to post topic questions for a class, and have students respond. This would give them a chance to experience the ‘conversation’ and already have the notes in written format. They could also post links to resources they located related to the topic- movies, articles, etc. (My husband often visits blogs about different rifles. He does the same thing verbally at gun shows, etc. The great thing about accessing a blog is that he can get feedback from numerous sources at once and can refer back to the text in the future.)
RSS feeds can easily be used in a way satisfactory to Siegel’s idea of Computer Imagination. In the article he stated that ‘computer imagination’ can’t just be eye candy; like amazon.com, it should exploit our patterns and achieve some desired end. RSS feeds do this exactly! We subscribe to websites of interest and are given a list (or quick picture) of new things on those sites. In setting up these feeds, we have probably all answered Postman’s question- even though we hadn’t asked yet. "How can I see updates to my favorite blogs or websites in one, central location?" With an RSS Feed!
I'm still looking for a way to merge all 4 or 5 (or however many email accounts I have!), into one. I've been able to merge my hotmail accounts, but others I have are WMU, gmail, etc. I'm keeping my eyes out! :) -Suzy
Hi suzy,
ReplyDeleteI think your idea of posting questions for students to answer on a blog is great. They even have the 'notes' as you say and will find it easy to follow the discussion and participate in it, too.
Thanks for posting about your sister volunteering in the Philippines. I read a few of her entries and thought what an amazing experience she is having. I think my heart would break.
Thanks again.
Cindy