So far in EDT 5410, I feel grateful to have been able to explore the uses of a few practical tools. The comments and advice I gain from my classmates has been a great help as well. Some of the steps of the processes have been challenging, like embedding my photobucket slideshow to my blog, while some have been (time consuming but) simple, like creating a delicious account. I’ve learned a great deal from our text and feel I’m taking a step in the right direction.
While I’m interested in the new tools we’ve been exploring, because of my position as an elementary music teacher, I don’t think I will use most of these tools. If I do, I don’t see it happening until sometime far in the future. As I’ve explained before, my students get one hour a week on the computer without definite techie help. I don’t feel I can assign things for the students to do without myself or someone knowledgeable available to help. Another hurdle is the fact that many of my students do not have internet access at home or even a computer to use.
I have mixed feelings about the reading and related reflection assignments. The text is very thorough, but hard for me to read, especially because of the continual references to “instructional design,” “technology” and all the related buzz words. In some cases, I think the chapters could be whittled down from 10 pages to 2 or 3. A more succinct explanation would be helpful for instructional design novices (like myself).
Another part of the course that has been difficult for me is the online format. I’m an auditory learner and I feel that verbal and visual instructions would be really helpful- maybe include a podcast or screen cast instead of written instructions! If I were to recommend any addition to the class, I would like to see instruction coming from something other than written text.
While the links within our weekly plans have been informative, I’ve found it a little confusing to navigate the e-learning website. Between the assignment schedule and the weekly plans, I often feel like I have to double check a few different places before I am sure I know what is due and when. Switching between blogs and comments makes me feel a little off course as well.
I am brand new to the Educational Technology masters program. I decided to study technology because it is something I enjoy and I know will be in demand. After this course, I’m not sure what to think about continuing in this field. On one hand, I’ve enjoyed the tools and activities and I do hope to find a use for most of them in my classroom. On the other hand, the information in the book makes me feel ill-equipped and is geared more toward a technology focused job, instead of an education focused job that I’m seeking.
I’m keeping my mind open and looking forward to learning about screencasting- a tool I can definitely use to teach other teachers- and getting a chance to play around with what I’ve learned.
-Suzy
I have had mixed feelings about some of the reading, too, particularly this weeks reading. I just had trouble relating it to my classroom experience.
ReplyDeleteSuzy,
ReplyDeleteI feel your pain when it comes to some of the readings. There have been several times when I just sit and wonder why I am reading this. What keeps me focused it looking for tiny things that I can twist to be educationally related.
I also agree with the instructions for our assignments. I sometimes have a hard time determining what instructions go with what. I do not think a screencast would work for me becuase I like to be able to go back and re-read things. But I do think a few spaces or a horizontal line between tasks would be helpful.
Jackie Sowle
Suzy, I think we all feel ill-equipped after reading the book. But, since this is one of the first classes in this program, I think we're supposed to:)
ReplyDeleteIn regards to using this technology in a "special" classroom, it won't always work for the students to use this technology, but it will work to make our lives more sane. For example, I don't know for sure if I would show my students how to use delicious bookmarking, but it will definitely help me keep track of educational websites that I use all the time.
On another note, I think its funny that you're an auditory learner as a music teacher. I'm definitely a visual learner (and an art teacher). It sounds like we chose the right fields for us! I do think screencasting would be a great idea for this class, even if its just to show us a great example of how to use one.
Danelle Drake
Suzy,
ReplyDeleteI agree that the readings have been difficult at times just because the authors are very thorough. I am very interested in this field as well but after reading Chapter 18 feel I might not pursue it. I have my Masters already so am not in the program. KathyW
I really agree with you that the comments posted by the others have really helpful and informative. I really wish, however, that a few comments would come from the instructor. I find it very odd that she hasn't posted any comments to any of our posts. I really have no idea if I am thinking on the right track or if I am way off the mark.
ReplyDeleteThe readings are definitely challenging, but I am kind of enjoying the technology aspect of the course. I can definitely see how it could be hard to incorporate some of what we have done in here into a music class.
I am with you on our textbook, it is hard to read. They could have used a good copy editor! But, I feel that I have learned alot that I will be able to use this coming school year.
ReplyDelete