First, let me start off by saying, I loved this chapter! I found the five job descriptions to be very informative and the writing style was easy to follow. Unfortunately, because I found the chapters on IDT in business and P-12 education more difficult to read, I’m having trouble thinking of comparable themes throughout the three fields. But, I’ll give it a shot.
One of the similarities I noticed was the specific tasks and ranks associated with both P-12 education and higher education. After a certain number of years teaching in P-12 education in the same district, a teacher must be granted or denied tenure. From what I gathered on page 222, in higher education in the United States, although tenure and promotion are separate, there are still set procedures and timelines for being granted tenure. As far as I know, businesses do not offer tenure or have a specific set of guidelines for promotions. I’m sure some businesses have steps and levels, but I think promotions in business depend much more on need and availability of positions.
The job titles or roles explored in these chapters differed quite a bit. In business and industry, “Instructional Designer” was the main title, while there were different roles of Sole Designer, Designer as consultant or Team member/leader. Chapter 21 concentrated on process steps and systems more than on job titles, but “Instructional Design and Technology Specialists” were discussed. From my own experience, another title related to P-12 education and technology might be “Technology Specialist” and, the one I use the most, simply “Techie.” Instructional designers in higher education can have a variety of titles as well, including “Assistant Professor of Instructional Systems,” “Faculty Developer,” or “Associate Professor of Instructional Technology.” (This dissection of titles and roles reminds me of Chapter 1 where we read about the ever-changing description and title of the field of IDT.)
Lastly, the theme I found the most surprising was the application of core values or morals in IDT in P-12 and higher education. Looking at Table 21.1 on page 212, some of the core values (related to the Guidance System for Transforming Education in P-12 schools) are respect, responsibility, caring for children and their future, and inclusiveness. According to Table 27.6 on page 280, competent Performance Technologists must “Deal with fellow practitioners ethically, honestly, and with integrity” as well as “Use PT only in support of humane, socially responsible, and life-fulfilling ends for both the individual and organization.” To me, following a code of ethics goes without saying, but putting certain moral standards into a list of steps for a program or competencies for certification is refreshing. After reading about the ‘official’ core values in the field of education, I’m left wondering if something similar has been or will be developed in business and industry.
All in all, I feel IDT professionals have to follow their interests when deciding what field to enter. Personally, I have little to no interest in business or higher education. I feel my calling is teaching younger students and, in deciding WHAT to teach (in addition to or instead of music), I’m exploring technology.
-Suzy
Suzy,
ReplyDeleteI am glad you liked this chapter-it was quite boring for me ha! I also have no desire to teach at the higher education level. Although I am quite interested in IDT in both the business and secondary level. :) KathyW