Wednesday, July 29, 2009

R/D11- My competency goals (Chapter 27)

In reading Chapter 27, I was surprised to see the multiple, evolving titles, competencies and developments. Comparing this chapter to what we read earlier on in the book about the IDT field developing, I guess it only makes sense that these job categories and descriptions would follow suit.

I think I have quite a few weaknesses when it comes to IDT, especially because I’m just beginning my education in the field. However, if I were a technology specialist for a school district (especially relating to elementary school teachers), I feel I would be very capable of selecting appropriate projects, conducting needs assessments, and assessing learner/trainee characteristics. (These three competencies are from the original list of competencies. Table 27.1 on page 273.) One advantage to working in both elementary schools in my district, I feel I can correctly judge what my colleagues want and need to know. Another advantage of my job (working with all students P-5) is that I am familiar with what the students need, want and are capable of.

Under the title of “Instructor” on pages 275 and 276, there are a few competencies that I’m interested in developing.

First, although I’m a very organized person, I would really like to develop PLANNING & PREPARATION competency number six- “Prepare for instruction. Improve the organization.” During instruction from technology specialists in the last few years, I have found that most teachers are lost. Instead of a two or four hour presentation covering EVERYTHING, teachers would rather have shorter presentations concerning a couple tools. I believe part of improving instruction and the organization would be to send simple questionnaires out to teachers to find what THEY want to know. I would figure out what they need help with and prepare an organized presentation accordingly.

Another competency I would like to develop is a combination of number eight and nine under INSTRUCTIONAL METHODS & STRATEGIES- “Demonstrate effective presentation skills. Demonstrate effective facilitation skills.” I’m completely comfortable teaching in front of young students. There could be 600 of them and I don’t have any problem. But, when I get in front of a group of adults, that’s where I have problems. I remember various presentations in college where I KNOW I was talking too fast, but just couldn’t slow myself down. So, working on my EFFECTIVE presentation and facilitation skills is towards the top of my list.

Lastly, the competency that I feel needs perpetual development is number seventeen under MANAGEMENT- “Manage an environment that fosters learning and performance.” In education, the environment of instruction (currently, my attitude and my classroom) has a huge effect on learners which is why I feel development of this competency is essential. If learners aren’t engaged and interested, if they don’t feel comfortable and included, they do not learn. I want to be sure to create an open environment with my students (and colleagues) to promote better comprehension and performance.

While all of these competencies were specifically written for IDT professionals, I feel they all relate with being an effective teacher (instructor) in any field or subject.
-Suzy

2 comments:

  1. Suzy,
    I can relate to effective presentation skills. Although I taught high school I was still very nervous in front of my peers. I have been doing alot of adult training so feel much better about it now. I agree that students need to have a safe, open environment in order to learn. This should be pretty high on most teachers lists! :) KathyW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy,
    You're very fortunate to be working in different environments(schools, teachers, students). I had a chance to experience that briefly when we another school in our district was understaff. It's nice to observe how other people work and compare the differences between your schools and others. It's a great way to learn new ideas. I really want to encourage my new school to do this.

    ReplyDelete