Thursday, July 30, 2009

Screencasting

I’ve had a little bit of experience with screencasting. One of the new programs installed on each computer last year was CamStudio, which can be used for screencasting.

I have a few ideas on how I could use screencasting in my classroom.

First, after I create a blog for my classes, I would need to be able to ‘show’ students how to access it. I would first show them how to see my blog in class, but I’m sure most of them would need to see the directions again- once they are sitting at a computer. The directions would include (all with my narration and on-screen modeling):
1. Log onto the computer with your User Name and Password.
2. When the white box pops up, click on the blue letter ‘e’.
3. When the window opens, click on the address bar at the top.
4. Type in byvillemusic.blogspot.com. (Or whatever name I come up with.)
5. The website will open. Use the arrows on the right side of the screen to move up and down the page to look at pictures and read stories. If you see a video, click on the ‘Play’ button to watch.
(For older students, I would make a different screencast showing them how to create a post on our blog. I need to figure out if they’d need to be a ‘guest’ or if I’d want them to create an account, but the wheels are turning.)

Accessing my blog would be part of a larger lesson because I could then post assignments or discussions there. As I mentioned in earlier postings, I could have older students share pictures and stories of music events they had attended. Students could share pictures or videos of ‘found’ musical instruments. After I know that some of my students are accessing and enjoying the blog, I can see many many (extra credit) assignments blooming. 

Another way I could use screencasting would be to show students how to access the music we listen to during music class on the network drive. Directions would include:
1. Log onto the computer with your User Name and Password.
2. When the white box pops up, click on the music note.
3. Look in the folder for your grade and click on it.
4. All the songs we have already learned or will learn are there. Click on the name of the one you want to hear.
5. When the song is over, click on another song.

I had the technology specialists in my district create a special location on the network for our music class songs so that I wouldn’t have to burn CDs for teachers or choir members. Usually, before a concert or holiday, I ask teachers if they’d like a CD with appropriate music. Most say yes! Then, in the case of concert practice CDs, they are kind of useless. Students occasionally ask me for CDs of their favorite songs as well. Creating a screencast of how to locate and play songs would be helpful in multiple ways for students and teachers.

As you’ve probably noticed, I have plans to use screencasting for fellow teachers too. I’ve gone around to at least four rooms to show teachers which remote to use and which icon goes with different programs. We have overhead document cameras and AVerMedia software which would allow me to include video of anything happening in the room as well.

1 comment:

  1. Suzy,
    Wow, it sounds like you are way ahead of everyone else! Your ideas sound great and could be easily implemented.Maybe you should take the 6480 class: Designing Prof. developemnt for Education Technology! Then you can show everyone at your school. :)KathyW

    ReplyDelete