Tuesday, July 21, 2009

R/D8- Chapter 21

I found chapter 21 difficult to relate to. While the design and processes of GSTE and SUTE were detailed and informative, I found them hard to place into my career. This chapter would be a great guide for someone who was a Technology Coordinator in a district and was about to begin a systematic change of some type. Like chapter 18, this chapter extensively explains HOW to carry out a systematic change, but doesn't really help me understand WHAT could be done.

A couple of the ideas did hit home. First of all, my district is currently working on a new mission and plan. We have received a few updates from the "Strategic Planning" committee to fill us in on the new goal and the steps to get there. The problem I have with that (and the ideas in this chapter) is... what will redesigning do? Will this new GOAL or PROCESS affect what happens in the classroom? I feel systematic change has more to do with public relations and how a district is viewed than it has to do with student learning. Also, what does systematic change have to do with technology? From my experience, it only involves establishing goals to bring in students and be a “destination district.”

Another idea that I liked was the Pre-Launch Preparation activities. I agree that this preparation can seriously influence the success or failure of a program. I equated this idea to a "Kick off" assembly. At the beginning of the school year, we take time to introduce (and re-introduce) our expectations in the school and classroom. It is essential to make your expectations and plans known.

Lastly, I was confused about what this chapter really had to do with technology. Similar to chapter 18, I feel I would've gotten more out of it if concrete examples were given instead of just a step by step guide on how to implement a continuous ecological change.

Hopefully, after reading a few comments and other students’ blogs, I will be able to associate the ideas discussed in this chapter to my teaching.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Suzy,
    I didn't care for this chapter either. It just didn't seem to have much relevance to the classroom and like it could be more applicable to superintendents and school boards who are looking at change. I realize this directly affects my classroom, but still, it was pretty uninspiring. ;)
    I appreciate your point about wondering if a goal will affect the classroom, or is it just words?
    I also throught the pre-launch activities were crucial to any change. In our school district it took a long time for the school board to realize that changes were being voted down because people didn't see the need for it. Once they started having community forums, people began to realize that our buildings were so outdated they were actually effecting the educational process. Discussion really helped!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suzy,

    I am having trouble seeing how this could not fit into your career. Schools across the country are ineffective in many ways. These ways include: buildings, staff, curriculum, technology, administration, etc. This chapter although not specifically about technology was about the plan to change and improve schools.

    Although some of it might be a marketing strategy the main goal should be to improve test scores (which will draw people into the area). This chapter outlined a process starting from the basic goals all the way to the implementation stages. Whether or not the community feels a need for change most of this is probably prompted by NCLB and schools that are not making AYP.

    Jackie Sowle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzy, You bring up a good point about what can change in our districts and not just how to change. I think more people would be interested in change if they had an idea of just how great it would be once they did change. The step by step model seems very applicable, but why would we do it unless we knew what they change would look like in the end. The idea that schools would just be "better" isn't enough incentive for parents, students, teachers and administrators to enforce this type of change.

    Danelle Drake

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have liked to hear about what some of those schools did to make changes and what they were unhappy about in their schools. Now that may have been really long to explain, but a brief summary would have been kind of cool to read about.

    I really have a problem with what Jackie said about just improving test scores. I am so sick of hearing that test scores are the only thing that schools are based on. I realize that they have to have some basis on how to "grade" schools, but I really believe that test alone are not good. I know in my classes, I have a bunch of kids that freak out when they take tests, and some kids just aren't good test takers. So to fund a school based on tests alone I don't feel is right. Now I'm not sure what else we could do, but I just think someting different has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In response to Jackie (and Jason)...
    I totally agree that some schools need changes. But I want to see an example of what this process changes. "What is the problem to which a systematic change is the answer?" Teacher that aren't teaching? Administrators who are focusing on only test scores? Technology that isn't being used? I just didn't connect with the abstract "CHANGE" they talked about. Identify a problem and explain- using the steps in the chapter- show me how to fix it.

    There are 'problems' everywhere but give me an example! TEACHERS are the only thing that will change what and how students learn (if you want my opinion). Unless you are showing teachers some new way to get ideas across to students... it's just lip service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzy,
    Schools do have problems, but is systematic change the answer? Schools could improve, but they do not need wholesale changes. If a district is failing then systemic change is needed. Everyone in the community must be ready though, or the changes will not happen. The biggest change that has to happen, in our school, is the value placed on education by student's parents.

    I too would have liked to see something more concrete in this chapter, and the outcome of the changes the schools in it were trying to make.

    ReplyDelete