I found Chapter 30 to be an easy read and full of helpful knowledge. What I did not find was any real, applicable ‘example’ that I could use in my classroom. However, I was able to identify a few ideas that I will keep in mind when incorporating rich media in my instruction.
First, especially since I’m a music teacher, I was interested by the section about background music within animations and tutorials. On one hand, I know that music has a certain therapeutic value that I would aid in learning and comprehension. But, on the other hand, I can understand how it would just end up being noise or a distraction to a person trying to absorb more significant information. Depending on the topic, I will keep in mind this section about background music and make sure to only include music if it supports the context. For example, if I were to create a series of still drawings to present a brief biography of Mozart, I feel I should incorporate the music of some of his most famous pieces. But, if I provide an animated quiz on music theory, I will leave music (just for the sake of music) out.
Like background music, “seductive details” are sometimes included in presentations and are simply secondary information that detracts from student learning. In the animations I’ve created, mostly PowerPoint presentations, I don’t think I’ve used seductive details, but now I will be sure to exclude them. I think the only effective place for a seductive detail in a lesson would be at the introduction. This would engage students, but would not interrupt the flow of new information.
Another strategy that hit home was the modality principle. It described the effectiveness of animation and spoken narration as opposed to animation and on-screen text. The authors pointed out that we have two separate storage areas for information in our brain: phonetic and visual. It makes complete sense that audio narration is more effective than written because while the visual center is absorbing the animation, the phonetic center can absorb the narration. I also made note of the importance of possibly incorporating both audio and visual narration for learner reference. (When I was reviewing CamStudio for this week’s activity assignment, I made a simple screencast to showcase the program. After listening to my voice, I was going to switch the vocal directions into directions through subtitled text. After reading about the modality principle, I will stick with using vocal directions and will add an on-screen summary of directions at the end of the screencast.)
The section about simulation was interesting. Although I’m sure simulations help students learn and enjoy learning, I don’t think integrating them in my lessons will be a possibility. It was encouraging to read that simple desktop simulations were no less effective than expensive virtual reality simulations. If I do get the chance to use simulations, I’m certain it will be something simple and inexpensive.
This chapter was helpful. I can refer back to it when I’m making animations (or simulations) and I can pass the information on to my colleagues if they will be using rich media in their instruction.
No comments:
Post a Comment